How to Find Learnerships in Gauteng

Before we look at where to find learnerships in Gauteng it might be valuable to go over what a learnership is exactly. It's an organised curriculum, listed with the Department of Labour by the companies that are offering the opportunity. 30% of this curriculum covers theoretical aspects while the remaining 70% covers the practical. They are available for both matriculants and those who are currently employed.

They allow matriculants to test the waters as it goes beyond workplace experience. During a learnership they will be able to see if the profession they're receiving training in is the right profession for them or not. Companies like to offer learnerships as it gives them a chance to see what the candidate is like on the job as they could become a potential employee. Remember doing a learnership does not automatically make you a full-time employee of the company. That only happens if they offer you a job after your learnership period is over.

Employees can use learnerships to grow their skills and knowledge base at the company where they're already employed. It's a way of advancing in their current department or moving to a new one.

Once you've decided to pursue learnerships the next question is how do you go about finding one. The best place is the internet. There are a number of sites that list the learnerships that are available. Indeed is one of them.

You can also sign up with agencies that will put you on their books and then try and match you and your career dreams with the learnerships that are available. For example:

If you're not sure what career you want to follow explore the internet and see what learnerships are out there. For example, did you know that Lancet offers a learnership in Phlebotomy? Do you know what Phlebotomy is? It might be worth investigating as this learnership opportunity is a rare one. It's not offered often and will allow you to break into a career in medical laboratory work.

If you do know what organisation you want to work for then keep an eye on their websites. However, you may find that they don't list the learnerships on their site and you will have to do some digging around to find them. A good place to start is with the Ask website. Just type in “Learnerships at (Company Name)” and hit enter. Learneship Finder is really good site for learnerships, internships, graduate development, apprenticeships, bursaries and scholarships as well as job search information. It often has learnerships that have been posted by top South African companies.

Apply early for learnerships. Start looking for one at the start of your matric year or find out what learnerships your company offers and apply for them today. Find out how to improve your chances for the next company intake.


You might also like:

  • Share With Your Friends